In this MGS Deep Dives IDFA session, Shamanth Rao, Founder & CEO of RocketShip HQ, and John Koetsier, Journalist, Analyst, and Futurist at Forbes, discuss how Apple is disrupting mobile as we know it. Despite being an $80 billion industry, mobile is a still nascent sector centered around advertising – but now that Apple’s iOS14 has made IDFAs opt-in, they’re poised to disrupt the entire mobile ecosystem.
The interview describes four main reasons Apple made this change: privacy, culture, politics, and monetary. Insights include:
- The commercial, political, and social motives behind IDFAs.
- The security risks and potential power misuse of IDFAs.
- The strategic advantage of weakening competitors – like Google, Facebook, Amazon – that rely on ad revenue.
- How the current ecosystem has contributed to delays in the iOS14 deadline.
- Where Google might land with IDFAs for Android.
- The future of advertising to mobile apps: the return of contextual targeting and the shift to monetizing more in-app purchases.